Elective Surgeries Resume
Sarasota Memorial has resumed elective surgeries in its hospital ORs and outpatient Cape Surgery Center, in accordance with the state's COVID-19 recovery plan. Patients who had an elective procedure postponed or who have other questions should contact their physician for information.
Comprehensive Cardiovascular Care
Sarasota Memorial offers the most comprehensive and advanced cardiovascular services in the region. Our cardiac team has decades of experience evaluating and treating irregular heartbeat, heart attack, heart failure, heart surgery, valve disorders, and other cardiovascular diseases and thoracic disorders. Collectively, our nationally recognized physician team performs more than 1,000 cardiovascular surgeries and 6,000 procedures each year.
For information and referrals: Call 941-917-7070.
Would you like to know more about our Heart & Vascular Services?
Sarasota Memorial Heart Services
- Rapid assessment and treatment of chest pain and heart attack.
- A full spectrum of screenings and non-invasive testing to detect cardiovascular risk factors and disease markers at their earliest stages, including: Echocardiogram (EKG/ECG); Trans-Esophageal Echocardiography (TEE); Vascular Ultrasound; and Nuclear Medicine studies.
- Cardiac catheterization, including emergency angioplasty for heart attack patients, and induced hypothermia for cardiac arrest and stroke patients.
- Cardiac, vascular and thoracic surgeries.
- Interventional and neurointerventional radiology.
- Electrophysiology labs with advanced mapping and ablation therapies.
- Technologically advanced, cutting-edge surgical suites.
- Multidisciplinary valve clinic for people with complex heart valve disorders.
- Outpatient disease management clinics for people managing congestive heart failure, blood thinner medications and stroke.
- Specialized cardiac units with private healing rooms, 24/7 wireless telemetry monitoring and advanced practice cardiac nurses. (See video below for a virtual tour of our Courtyard Tower cardiac units.)
- Mobile intensive care units for quick and safe patient transfer to Sarasota Memorial Hospital.
- Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation and medically integrated fitness programs to improve quality of life for people living with heart, lung and vascular disease.
Sarasota Memorial is proud to partner with the Columbia University Medical School’s Division of Cardiac Surgery. Through this partnership, our patients and physicians have:
- Access to the latest diagnostic and treatment options.
- Access to Columbia University’s Cardiac Surgery faculty and research database.
- Opportunities to participate in research initiatives and clinical trials.
- Referrals for procedures such as pediatric heart surgery and heart transplants.
Top-ranked Cardiac and Cardiovascular Care
Sarasota Memorial Hospital has been consistently recognized for its superior patient care and performance.
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital earned the highest, three-star rating from The Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) for its patient care and clinical outcomes in all five cardiac surgery categories: aortic valve replacement (AVR), coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), AVR combined with CABG surgery, isolated mitral valve replacement/repair (MVRR), and MVRR combined with CABG. SMH is one of only three participating hospitals in the US and Canada to earn the top rating in all five of those publicly reported categories, placing SMH among the top hospitals for cardiothoracic surgery in the nation and Canada. The 3-star rating denotes the highest category of quality among hospitals. The STS rating system is one of the most sophisticated and highly regarded overall measures of quality in health care, rating the outcomes of cardiac surgery programs in the United States, Canada and a growing number of international participants. (2019)
- Sarasota Memorial is the only hospital in Florida to have consistently earned the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid's highest 5-star rating for overall quality and safety since the rating system launched in 2016.
- Named one of the 100 Top Hospitals in the US by IBM Watson Health in 2019, based on clinical and operational performance benchmarks.
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital has received consecutive “A” grades for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group, a national organization that evaluates hospitals' efforts to protect patients from preventable injuries and harm, since SMH began participating in Leapfrog's survey in 2016.
- Sarasota Memorial earned strong ratings in all 9 procedures and conditions evaluated in U.S. News 2019-2020 “Best Hospitals” report — an achievement attained by less than 1% of evaluated hospitals — and was named “Best Regional Hospital” in the Sarasota-Bradenton-North Port area. Evaluated procedures and conditions included heart bypass surgery, aortic valve surgery, abdominal aortic aneurysm repair and heart failure.
- Accredited as an American Heart Association Cardiovascular Center of Excellence. Sarasota Memorial was the first in Florida and only the fourth in the US to earn this designation for exemplary comprehensive cardiovascular care.
- Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the most prestigious distinction for nursing excellence and high-quality patient care.