Information & Referrals
To make an appointment, seek more information, or request a physician referral, call SMH HealthLine at 941-917-7777 or browse our online directory to search for a specialist.
Gastrointestinal Disease & Digestive Disorders
Sarasota Memorial offers a full range of screening, diagnostics and medical treatments for digestive diseases, including illness or injuries affecting the esophagus, stomach, small and large intestine, liver, gallbladder, pancreas and colon.
- Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) – By passing a thin, flexible tube (endoscope) through a patient's mouth or anus, a physician can examine the lining and walls of the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract, and nearby organs such as the gall bladder, liver and pancreas. EUS can also guide fine-needle biopsy of lymph nodes and tumors, offering a safe, minimally invasive alternative to surgery. Watch our educational video to learn more about EUS at Sarasota Memorial.
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) – This combination of endoscopic and X-ray imaging helps physicians assess the biliary tract when obstruction of cystic, bile or pancreatic duct is suspected. A flexible viewing tube called a gastroscope is passed through the mouth toward the duodenum, and an X-ray is performed to check for blockage, usually caused by gallstones, scars, inflammation, or cancer. Small stones can be removed or a stent inserted to open the affected duct. ERCP can also be used to biopsy tissue when cancer is suspected.
- Radiofrequency ablation for GERD and Barrett’s esophagus – Sarasota Memorial is one of the nation’s leading hospitals using radiofrequency (RF) ablation to treat damage and precancerous Barrett’s esophagus caused by chronic heartburn or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Watch our educational video to learn more about RF ablation for Barrett’s esophagus at Sarasota Memorial.
- Reflux Clinic — Sarasota Memorial’s dedicated, outpatient Reflux Clinic offers comprehensive evaluation, diagnostic testing, minimally invasive surgery options and personalized treatment plans for those living with GERD, heartburn, esophageal disorders and other symptoms of esophageal dysfunction. Click here to learn more.
Awards & Honors
- Rated as a High Performer (top 12 percent in the nation) for Colon Cancer Surgery, US News 2018-19
- The American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy has awarded Sarasota Memorial a certificate of recognition for promoting quality in endoscopy.