- 1 - tablespoon canola oil
- 1 - small onion
- 1 - tablespoon chili powder
- 1 - teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 - 15-ounce cans black beans
- 3 - cups water
- 1/2 - cup prepared salsa
- 1/4 - teaspoon salt
- 1 - tablespoon lime juice
- 4 - tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 - tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Add beans, water, salsa and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice.
Transfer half the soup to a blender and puree (use caution when pureeing hot liquids). Stir the puree back into the saucepan. Serve garnished with sour cream and cilantro, if desired.