- 2 - tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 - medium eggplant
- 2 - cloves garlic
- 4 - plum tomatoes
- 1/3 - cup chopped pitted green olives
- 2 - tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 4 - teaspoons capers
- 3/4 - teaspoon salt
- 1/2 - teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 - teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 12 - ounces whole-wheat angel hair pasta
- 1/4 - cup chopped fresh parsley
Put a pot of water on to boil.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add tomatoes, olives, vinegar, capers, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper (if using) and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes begin to break down, 5 to 7 minutes more.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water until just tender, about 6 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and divide the pasta among 6 shallow bowls. Spoon the sauce over the pasta and sprinkle parsley (or basil) on top.