- 2 - pounds small potatoes
- 1 - cup chopped celery
- 2 - ounces smoked ham
- 1/4 - cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 - tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 - tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3/4 - cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1 - tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 - tablespoon peanut or canola oil
- 1/2 - teaspoon salt
- - Freshly ground pepper
- 2 - large hard-boiled eggs
Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, partially covered, until just tender, 12 to 20 minutes, depending on their size. Drain and let cool for about 15 minutes.
When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, taste a bit of potato skin—if it’s bitter or tough, peel the potatoes. Otherwise, leave the skins on. Cut the potatoes into bite-size pieces and put them in a large salad bowl.
Add celery, ham, parsley, chives (or scallions) and mint (or dill) to the potatoes. Toss to combine. Add buttermilk, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Gently stir in chopped egg. Serve at room temperature or chilled.