- 2 - cups buttermilk
- 1/2 - cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2/3 - cup whole-wheat flour
- 2/3 - cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 - cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 1/2 - teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 - teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 - teaspoon salt
- 1 - teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 - large eggs
- 1/4 - cup packed brown sugar
- 1 - tablespoon canola oil
- 2 - teaspoons vanilla extract
Mix buttermilk and oats in a medium bowl; let stand for 15 minutes.
Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, wheat germ (or cornmeal), baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
Stir eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla into the oat mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix with a rubber spatula just until moistened.
Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat. Spoon in enough batter to cover three-fourths of the surface (about 2/3 cup for an 8-by-8-inch waffle iron). Cook until waffles are crisp and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.