Sarasota Memorial is proud to follow guidelines established by the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI). This leading quality improvement organization has led the nation in identifying best practices based on measurable outcomes to ensure that the right treatment is given to the right patient at the right time – every time.
Through IHI, the 100,000 Lives Campaign was created and successfully implemented to document lives that have been saved by using evidence-based methods and procedures of care. New techniques have been applied to situations including rapid emergency response teams, protecting patients from developing pneumonia when using a ventilator to help them breathe, and protecting surgical sites and central intravenous lines from infection. Sarasota Memorial has adopted all of these life-saving quality care methods.
Because we believe that people can make better decisions about their health care if they have accurate information, we have made a commitment to reporting publicly how Sarasota Memorial Health Care System ranks on a range of quality standards and benchmarks.
Current quality improvement initiatives at Sarasota Memorial include:
• Participation in the National Hospital Quality Alliance: Advancing treatments known to get the best results for adult patients with heart attack, heart failure and pneumonia.
• Participation with the Joint Commission on National Patient Safety Goals: Learn about these Patient Safety Goals, and how they have been adopted to improve hospital patient safety.
• Participation with the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Patient Safety Indicators: Advancing safety measures that help hospitals identify accidents, complications or other medical mishaps before they occur.
• Participation with the American Nurses Credentialing Center Magnet Program: Establishing a national database of key nurse performance indicators, allowing hospitals to compare their performance on key nursing performance indicators, such as preventing patient falls and preventing pressure ulcers
• Participation in VHA Southeast: An alliance of hospitals in the Southeast United States committed to researching and promoting evidence-based practices and collaborating on quality improvement initiatives.
• Participation in the Joint Commission's Quality Check and Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Hospital Compare, quality guides to health care organizations in the United States. The Hospital Compare web site – www.hospitalcompare.hhs.gov – contains the most comprehensive information available on commonly reported quality measures.
We encourage you to use multiple sources when researching hospital quality, and to speak with your doctor to help you and your family or loved ones make informed decisions about your health care provider.
Thank you for your interest in Sarasota Memorial Health Care System.