The mission of the Community Medical Clinic is to provide specialty care referral services to those residents of Sarasota County who truly demonstrate a financial need. Providing access to care for those individuals who are uninsured or underinsured, or those who do not have the financial resources to receive specialty care elsewhere is the primary goal.
Proof of Sarasota County Residency (current picture identification and/or utility bill in your name with your complete address) is required. Low income and little or no insurance are also a criteria. Those seeking care must be referred by Senior Friendship Centers, Sarasota County Health Department or North Country Health Center or GENESIS or physicians / providers with privileges at Sarasota Memorial Hospital.
The Community Medical Clinic offers a variety of specialty clinics that include:
- Orthopedics (non-surgical)
- Surgery (limited)
Other specialists and services we refer to include:
- Breast Health (mammogram)
- Coumadin Clinic
- General Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Nutritional Services
- Radiation Oncology
- Interventional Cardiology
- Infectious Disease
- Heart Failure Center
- Vascular Surgery
- Otolaryngology (Ear, Nose, Throat)
- Ophthalmology (Eyes)
- Sleep Disorder Clinic
- Wound Care
Services we do not offer include the following:
- Pregnancy testing or pregnancy related problems
- HIV or STD
- Routine immunizations
- Flu shots
- Routine school physicals
- Second opinions
- Chronic pain medication
- Disability determination examinations
- Emergencies, such as broken bones or severe cuts or burns (emergencies are directed to the Sarasota Memorial Hospital Emergency Care Center)
Community Medical Clinic Services at SMH
Criteria for services:
Proof of Sarasota County Residency (current address or a picture identification and/or utility bill in your name with your complete address). Must meet low income guidelines and have little or no insurance. A Community Medical Clinic staff member can assist you with this qualification process. Please call 917-7731 for assistance.
Location and Hours:
The clinic is located at 1851 Arlington Street, Suit 208 (second floor). Hours: 8a.m. - 5p.m., M-Th. Closed Friday.
Become a volunteer and make a difference!
The Community Medical Clinic is a place where each volunteer's contribution is vital to the clinic's success.
- Physicians are covered under the Florida Statute 766.1115 of Sovereign Immunity when they sign a Volunteer Agreement and see the clinic patients for free. This is protection from liability issues that can occur.
- Retired Physicians may also volunteer. Florida Board of Medicine offers retired physicians a Limited License when they volunteer at the clinic receiving no renumeration. If you are a retired physician and are interested in obtaining a Limited License.
We continue to need additional physician volunteers. For more information on joining our team, please contact the Clinical Manager at the Community Medical Clinic at 941-917-6364.