Mitral Regurgitation (MR) is the most common type of heart valve defect, affecting one in 10 people aged 75 and older. The condition occurs when the heart’s mitral valve does not close completely, causing blood to leak backward into the left atrium with every heartbeat. Traditionally, there have been no good treatment options for people who are too frail or sick to undergo open heart surgery.
In October, however, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration approved the world's first catheter-based treatment for high-risk patients. Patients with degenerative MR deemed high risk for mitral valve surgery and those with functional MR enrolled in ongoing clinical trials are candidates for the device. For information, call Sarasota Memorial's Valve Clinic at (941) 917-6968.
Advanced Obstetric & GYN Care
Through every stage of her life, a woman’s health needs change and that’s why Sarasota Memorial has the most comprehensive Women’s Health Care Services in the region.
Join our highly specialized Obstetrical and Gynecology physicians for a series of free presentations on the most proven procedures and treatment options for various conditions. Lectures will be held 4:30-5:30 pm on the following dates in Sarasota Memorial’s first floor auditorium, 1700 S. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota. A brief Q & A will follow each presentation.
• Tuesday, Dec. 3: Ruth Y. Dyal, MD & Kristen Shepherd, MD - Tdap and Immunizations during Pregnancy and Viral Exposures during Pregnancy
• Thursday, Dec. 5: Lynnae K. Sauvage, MD, Perinatologist (High Risk Pregnancies) – How Your Body Changes during Pregnancy
• Tuesday, Dec. 10: Neil B. Pollack, MD – Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, Prolapse & SUI
• Thursday, Dec. 12: G. Michael Swor, MD – Female Pelvic Pain
• Tuesday, Dec. 17: Jon Yenari, MD – Treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
• Tuesday, Jan. 14: Kyle L. Garner, MD & Shawn M. Stephens, MD – Cesarean Section Prevention – A Patient’s Guide to Reducing Your Risk
All lectures are free, but seating is limited. RSVP required: (941) 917-7777.
Back to Top
Holiday 2013 Blood Drive
Join Sarasota Memorial for our Holiday 2013 Blood Drive and enter for a chance to win a new iPad Mini! The drive will take place in the hospital’s first floor auditorium, 1700 S. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota:
• Wed., Dec. 18, 7:30 am-4:30 pm
• Thurs., Dec. 19, 7:30 am-3:30 pm
• Fri., Dec. 20, 10 am-6 pm
• Sat., Dec. 21, 7 am-noon
Other SMH locations include:
• Mon., Dec. 16, 9 am-2 pm at Main Plaza, 1991 Main St., Sarasota
• Fri., Dec. 20, 8 am-noon at the Institute for Advanced Medicine, 5880 Rand Blvd., Sarasota
• Fri., Dec. 20, 1:30-4:30 pm at the University Parkway Care Center, 5350 University Parkway, Sarasota.
Donors will receive a free t-shirt, an entry into a drawing to win a New iPad Mini, a wellness check, a cholesterol screening & the opportunity to earn a $25 restaurant gift card.
Back to Top
HealthSquare December '13 Events
Sarasota Memorial HealthSquare, located in the center of Westfield Sarasota Square, offers free screenings and friendly staff to help answer questions about the hospital and services it provides.
We also offer FootNotes, a free Walk & Talk book club featuring mall walks and health education discussions with SMH experts each month. Upcoming events:
• Fri., Dec. 6, 9 am – Pilates Show n’ Tell, a free presentation by Sarasota Memorial HealthFit about the benefits of Pilates (attendees may bring mats and practice basic moves).
• Fri., Dec. 13, 1:30-3 pm – Footnotes: Kathleen Houseweart, manager of Sarasota Memorial’s Memory Disorder Clinic, will lead a discussion of the book Recessional, by James Michener.
Call (941) 302-4271 or email for information.
Back to Top
Ready to kick start your 2014 New Year’s resolutions? Find an inspiring array of FREE classes in January at Sarasota Memorial HealthFit. Visit smhfit.com or call (941) 917-7000.
Back to Top
Have you had an experience with Sarasota Memorial that you’d like to share with others?
Share Your Story